Friday, September 07, 2007

Recent Reads

- (audio book) Pigs in Heaven, by Barbara Kingsolver. One of the first Kingsolver novels, about a woman with her adopted Cherokee daughter and the Cherokee nation working to take away the little girl. I'm married to a Cherokee man, so I won't say anything about the nation, but the book certainly did not make them look good. And they talk "tongues" in the South, who knew? When I was in South Carolina a roomful of people were stunned upon hearing my phone conversation with my brother in Chinese. Maybe they thought I was speaking in "tongue". On the scale of one to ten for story and writing, I'd give it a Five.

- (audio book) Small Wonders, by Barbara Kingsolver, read by the author. This is a collections of essays which could be the foundation of her new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle .... This is a Seven for its thought provoking and creativity.

- (audio book) Stumbling on Happiness, by Daniel Gilbert and read by the author. Another New York Times best seller in social studies. I'm a planning kind of person (it's even in my job title), but what one thinks will make you happy is not what make you happy. Read the book, you won't regret. This is an Eight for its scientific yet entertaining content.

- Diana Chronicle, by Tina Brown. Yet another New York Times best seller. Once upon a time I was a young girl watching the fairy tale unfold. Camilla is sheer evil. A definite Ten.

- The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter, by David Colbert. My current night time reading with Henry. This is an A through Z guide of myths, legends and historical facts related to Potter books. A good way to get things started on history and mythologies. Very cool drawings with each entry. I give it a Seven for factual content and entertainment value.

No comments: