Saturday, June 03, 2006

Job Search So Far

After eight days of job search, talked to at least a dozen recruiters, half a dozen phone interviews (one with a hiring manager), three face-to-face interviews with contract or direct hire agencies, there is yet anything solid to come through. The market is buzzing, but so are the competitions. Companies are picky -- you have to have the exact experience, the number of years in the area, know the software application they use, and then they'll consider contract to hire. Contract is good money, especially after Netflix's comp package. I'm not exactly picky about benefits (expensive and limited at Netflix) and time off (limited to none at Netflix), but I can really use some stability right now. Since January 2005, I've had four jobs, moved seven times; it's high time to settle down. I get antsy when there is nothing on my calendar, so I fill it up with interviews. I give everyone and every opportunity equal chance, be it a contract job in Redwood City or a management job over my head in Palo Alto. I have the deep belief that you have to go through 99 bad interviews to get to that one good one, and now I'm only at the beginning of the potential worst-case scenarios. It's a long way to go. What I'm looking for: Senior Financial Analyst with focus on revenue recognition, forecasting, reporting and contract review and negotiation, a permanent position in corporate finance environment in a mid to large size Silicon Valley company, preferably software industry. Somewhere out there, there must be a job for me.

No comments: