Friday, September 23, 2011

Safe Return Mittens


Project: Safe Return Mittens
Pattern: Safe Return Mittens by Robin Hansen, Knitting Traditions Winter 2011
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool
Yardage:  odd balls from assorted projects
Needles: Size 6 and 8
Cast on: September 16, 2011


Notes: I've always wanted some fancy mittens for my walks in the winter. Yes, it's California, but we do have cold mornings, like in the 40s or 50s. I like my delicate fingers stay warm so I can keep on knitting and tapping the keyboard. The pattern is supposed to be waves in different shades of blue, but I'm too lazy for that. Even with two colors for the body and three color stripes on the cuff, I'm reminded why I never loved color work -- so many ends to weave in, so fidgety!  I'm also knitting at a much looser gauge than the pattern, so I'm using Child Large sizing for me.  The magazine Knitting Traditions is one of those once-in-a-while magazines from Interweave Knits, and it's more expensive than regular magazines, but it's full of good content and very worth keeping.


Happy Fiber Arts Friday! Join the party on Andrea's blog and leave me a comment!

9 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I like how those turned out. We woke up to temps in the 40's and 50's...and I put on a light sweathshirt to go outside. I am dreading the 17 degree mornings.

Voie de Vie said...

Love those blue and white mittens! They seems almost summer-ish. :)

Melissa Plank said...

Your mittens are cute and cozy!

Vivian said...

Thanks ladies! But that's just one mitten, I still need to make the other one!

AllyB said...

Adorable mittens! I have something to send you if you'll send me your address. An email or FB message will work. Have a wonderful weekend.

Melissa said...

Oh no, it's just like socks...one down and one to go. This one looks stunning.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!

Spinster Beth said...

Did you see that the third Knitting Traditions is available now? I can't wait to get it!

Jess said...

These are awesome!! I've been thinking I should make some fancy mittens this year, too!

Kathryn Ray said...

40-50F made me laugh. We've seen a little below 40F already. ;-) But I know how it goes. My 1st winter in the desert I never wore much more than a light jacket. Winter #2 was a whole 'nother story.

I like your mitten a lot. :-)

Thank you for your support regarding the cria. I am excited for the one we will have. :-)