Friday, January 06, 2012

2012 Knitting Forecast

Hope everyone has their feet solidly into 2012 by now. If you are like me you'll be writing 2011 for a few more months and that's OK, no one is going to vote you off the island. On Wednesday Henry and I went to visit my mom in Carmel and picked up her charity knitting. These are what she did besides her holiday knitting for her friends in the retirement community, doctors, nurses, bus drivers, etc. Yeah, she's productive. I brought her two big bags of yarn to keep her going.

crochet child's ponchos and knitted/crochet hat/scarf sets

Carmel beach
When I was a child we were always made to produce new years resolutions, and no one bothered to stick to them.  So to keep my adult life easier I decide just come right out and admit what I'm not going to do, and let's call it "un-resolution". These are not things I'm trying to quit or stay away, like latte, but rather things I know I won't be doing for whatever reason. But don't quote me if I end up doing any of them. It's a forecast, not reality. Here we go:

1. I won't run out and buy a spinning wheel and learn to spin.
2. Same goes for loom and weaving.
3. I probably won't knit a cozy for anything that generally should remain naked, like teapot, toilet paper roll, chairs, kitchen sink, sofa bed, yoga mat, bus, boat, Boeing 747.
4. I'm not too crazy about cowls, so I probably won't be knitting one of those, even tho it's all the rage. I was made to wear them when I was young and they were very uncomfortable, and they get in the way of my hair.
5. I can’t resist buying yarn at Stitches West tho I don’t need more yarn and shouldn’t spend the money.
6. I won't create, check out or follow a fiber arts bucket list and in turn feel miserable about my lack of knowledge and adventurism.
7. I don't spend time designing and test knitting. Too many pretty patterns out there and I'm a good follower, except for when I change the patterns.

(This reminds me of some Knitting Revelations I wrote years ago, feel free to check it out.)

Happy Friday and Happy New Year! Join the party on Andrea's blogTami's blog, and leave me a comment! 

16 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Love your un-resolutions. You make such beautiful creations that you shouldn't have to worry about new goals. I am always eager to see what new items you've created. You've been inspiring.

Judy said...

I will not be seeing you at Stitches West. I am going to Madrona! Have a good time spending money on yarn you don't need and I will do the same.

AllyB said...

You make me smile. I love your un-resolutions. Give some scritches to your little Rascal and be sure to tell them they're from LittleDog. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

OMG! I think I love you. These don'ts and your revelations are hilarious!!! I need to adopt some.

Isaida said...

Love your list....the one about cozys is funny :)

Paula said...

Awesome list. I'll keep an eye out for you at Stitches West, just to make sure you're living up to your promise to buy yarn you don't need.

Pumpkin said...

Your list is great! I confess that focusing on things you don't want to do could really help free you up to do a bunch of other amazing things : )

Kathryn Ray said...

I love both lists!

I won't see you at Stitches West either.

Lyndsay said...

Love your list. Keep it simple. :) Found you at wisdombeginsinwonder's Fiber Arts Friday. :)

Voie de Vie said...

Oh geez ... I was soooo looking forward to your Boeing 747 cozy. Dang it.

It isn't quite the new year for you, so you still have to amend the unresolutions. :)

Pooch said...

I can relate to much of your entertaining fantasy list!! I have found it best to avoid making any sort of shopping plan at STITCHES. Things just seem to magically occur when I am there!

Your mother's work is lovely and such a blessing to others! How good of you to enable her.

Happy knitting!
:)

Spinster Beth said...

Sometimes the knitting muse just can't be contained by rules and resolutions!

Melissa Plank said...

Super cute post, I'm still chuckling!

Vivian said...

Judy, that just sucks about Stitches and Madrona colliding again. Hope one day someone will work out a better schedule so you and all the other vendors can attend both.

Paula, I've started checking out the vendors websites ... taking my time ;-)

Kathryn, would love to see you any time!

VdV, funny you should mention, my childhood new years resolutions were indeed for Chinese New Year. Let's see if I'll have the measurement for 747 by then.

Pooch, nice to see you again! I have very enabling friends who have been collecting yarn for many years. They make my mom feel very rewarding.

Heather Woollove said...

I like how practical you are.
...although I must confess that I do kind of like tea cozies...esp. these: http://www.grandpurlbaa.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-tea-cosy-numbers.html
XXO-

Lynn said...

Your mother is amazing! You sent me a necklace that your mom made out of yellow beads and Baby Girl wore it the other day.

and I also love your un-resolutions.