Monday, August 07, 2006

Brain Fart

This job search has been going for over two months. The job market is pretty hot, if you have the right skills. The recruiters obviously think I do and I get quite a few calls, so much so that I've stopped talking to the ones offering me accounting contracts in far out places like Redwood City. Company recruiters are much more welcomed in my dictionary. I'm even willing to use my precious cell phone minutes to talk to them -- I'm on prepaid plan, pay for every minute I use. And then there are certain reputable companies with good track record and easy commute, such as Apple, Yahoo, Symantec, etc. My ears perk up when one of them is on the phone, which obviously doesn't happen every day and so far has not produced very positive result. One can always hope. Never hurt if I just put in the effort. I'm consulting for a start up, good money, very nice boss and co-worker, very laid back environment, except for a nagging little thing about not going to have enough work to do. So I checked with boss this morning, they need her to do anther round of funding later this year; she'll need to travel a lot and won't be able to set up her "Finance Housekeeping" as she planned. Oops, that means no work for me. I wasn't terribly thrilled, I like this place after all. The phone rings, another recruiter. Yak yak yak. I answered all the questions half heartedly. The woman sounded a bit arrogant, as if hoping I'd take her more seriously. Oral English language penetrates my brains only when all my brain cells are active, and I didn't manage to get to that stage till the end of the conversation. So after she's done with "forward you to the hiring manager .... blah blah blah" I remembered to ask her (again!) what company she's calling from. It's Apple. If only words would come at the right moment. Henry and I are going to our Feb99 reunion in Indianapolis on Thursday, it’s our first time to travel alone. Bill starts a new job today, Henry starts school in three weeks. JCC is waving big flags to support the war. I’m a bit frizzled to say the least.

No comments: