Friday, November 02, 2007

Recent Reads

Finished:

1. (audiobook) The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, by John Grisham. Grisham's only non-fiction book, but I didn't know it was non-fiction till the end of the book, thanks to lack of labelling on the audiobook. This is a good case study for Blink, the power of thinking without thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell (who also wrote best seller The Tipping Point). If you don't want people to think you are a criminal, don't look like one and don't act like one. I had this book from the library awhile back but had to return it when it came due, glad I had a chance to finish it.

2. (audiobook) The Summons, by John Grisham. One of the Grisham classics, love the suspense and actions. He has a way to make the bad guys sound interesting.

3. (audiobook) Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier. Thank you to Sarah for picking this for the bookclub. I thouroughly enjoyed it. I actually didn't know there was a book, only the movie, how terrible.

4. (audiobook) Jamaca Inn, by Daphne Du Maurier. Also Sarah's recommendation. I have to admit I didn't like it as much as Rebbecca, somehow the characters just couldn't grab my interest.

5. (audiobook) Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family, by Patricia Volk. Story of an immigrant family in New York for the past hundred years. Very funny, every family should have a book like this.

6. (audiobook) Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself, by Alan Alda, read by the author. Also listened to his Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned couple of months ago, not sure why it didn't make it to the reading log. I only know Alan Alda from his guest performance on ER, very interesting and funny guy. I might get some M*A*S*H episodes so I know what he looked like when he was young.

7. Diana Chronicle, by Tina Brown. Somethings I'd rather not know.

Current Reading:
1. (audiobook) Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships, by Daniel Goleman.
2. A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, by Daniel Pink.
3. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver. Love it!

Didn't Finish:
A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey. I really should stop checking out books about mental illnesses.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

There's a Rebecca movie???

Lynn said...

Oh definitely get some M*A*S*H tapes. Or better yet, check your TV listings. MASH is on a LOT!!!

And yes, STOP with the mental illness ones, they can do a number on your psyche!