Friday, November 04, 2011

Sock Knitting Phantom

My friend Jocelyn is an engineer. I've known Jocelyn since I joined the South Bay Knitters in 1998. We both work in high tech and our kids are close in age, so we have a lot to share. In the past couple of years, Jocelyn got addicted to sock knitting machines, so she bought a few of them (something to the number of 10). Jocelyn is a huge fan of The Phantom of the Opera, so she named the machines as her cast of characters. Here they are in her own words:

"There's Christine the 2007 NZAK, Buquet a Verdun 47, there are the two Legare 400s Firmin and Andre, the large Legare Piangi, the Gearhart Madame Giry, the Canadian AK Meg, the Verdun Semi-Automatic Raoul, and of course the English AK the Phantom itself."

Did I mention she's an engineer? I'm not sure if I understand 50% of this. But if you counted, that's only nine. Her most recent acquisition, and I had the honor of seeing her working in action this week, is " NZAK Mark IV. It's the cadillac of all machines, with steel inserts, brass stoppers, she's a marvel, and my Carlotta."


Jocelyn's own blog entries about the machines are here, here, here and here. Stop by and tell her how awesome she is!


One of these black ones is Phantom, I think the one on the left.
The pink ones (they are more red in real life) are Christine
(the bigger one on the stand on the right) and Meg.

Carlotta and Jocelyn in action.

A full size sock in less than an hour!
Happy Fiber Arts Friday! Join the party on Andrea's blog and leave me a comment!

8 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I'll definitely check out her blog. Those machines do intrigue me and I love that you are always sharing something fun and awesome.

Kathryn Ray said...

Agreed. Sock knitting machines are quite interesting. I've never seen one in person so I will be checking out your friend's blog.

AllyB said...

I do not dare look at a sock machine...seriously. No more hobby equipment will come into my house...really serious, not kidding. I love the pink ones! LOL

Voie de Vie said...

Holy bat machine - those things are amazing!

And love AllyB's response - I'll look forward to seeing pics of her first one ... right next to one of her spinning wheels. :)

Judy said...

I will check out this blog. I have a 2006 NZAK, my only machine. Ut us greatto work through sock yarn more quickly.

Spinster Beth said...

Oooh a new toy ..... I didn't know there was such a thing as sock machines!

Fae said...

Wow, the room with all those machines is really impressive!

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha...your friend's work space looks like the workshop where Caractacus Potts designed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!
...just wonderful!!!