Thursday, June 29, 2006

End of very short term contract

I guess you get what you wish for, or when something seems too good to be true, it must be too good to be true. But I did see it coming, not much I could have done about it. Back two weeks ago, an agency called me for a short term accounting job at Portal, I did a quick 15 minutes phone interview with the hiring manager, next thing you know they wanted me to start working right away. The rates a fairly high, said they really needed someone to close the books before the Oracle merger hits. I didn't want to take the job, it's short term -- three months max, and I'm looking for long term growth and commitment; even if I did well and could stay with the company, I have no desire to work for Oracle; and I really want to get out of accounting. But money is money. So I called back the agency and told my contact that I could take the job if only I could continue with my job search. The lady gave me the very reassuring promise, that she had the conversation with the hiring manager about how to make the job more enticing to me, that it'd be fine for me to take time off for interviews, and that they completely understand my need to find a permanent position elsewhere. With that said, what else could a girl ask for? Portal seems pretty desperate to get people in, for whatever reason. I found out the reason very fast. Portal had a whistle blower last year, had to reopen their books for two years back, issue restatements, close the books again. They were delisted from NASDAQ since they couldn't release financials for the past few quarters. Then Oracle comes along and offers to buy the company. People started leaving in droves, including payroll. Now Portal Finance is counting on consultants and contractors to patch things together. On day three of my tenure I became one of the key personnel to close FY06 which ended on January 31, 2006, along with a long time consultant who's counting down minutes to his last day (today, hopefully). However I was not aware of the importance of my presence until I announced to my boss about an upcoming interview. No one from the agency had mentioned to the boss about my job search. She was shocked and soon called the agency to complain about the miscommunication. My contact from the agency called me while I politely pointed out her promise to me and she changed a few words and told me they had the "understanding" that I'd need to find a job, but denied that she had talked to Portal about it. Liar Liar!!! In the hindsight, what I was working on at Portal should have been done months ago and boss had been putting it off till the last minute, then having the consultant checking my work which brings the question, why do they need me so badly? Well obviously they woke up and realized they didn't have to, so I was promptly released.

No comments: