Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sunny Day and Sick Child

I was so happy to see the sun out this morning, after two gloomy days in June! Took a nice long walk along Los Gatos trail, all the way to Vasona, around the lake, back on the trail to come home. Vasona is a special place for me. In the early days the husband (then boyfriend) and I used to go there after work on Fridays, and feed the ducks and occasional squirrels. After Henry was born, we spend many afternoons in the meadows, Dad would lift baby Henry way up in the air, and pretend he's fallen off the tree. On these weekday mornings the park is always quiet, with walkers and joggers here and there, no kids running wild, no boombox playing loud music, bikes running fast but there is always plenty room for passing. This morning there was a family of Canadian geese along the trail, the babies were all fluffy, I doubt they learned to fly yet. Then the cell phone rings, call from Henry's school. Henry is sick and needs to be picked up. He didn't seem that sick just half an hour ago when I put him on the bus. I even wrote a note to the teacher and gave her my full schedule for the day, since I had interviews planned in Palo Alto and north San Jose. Later when I questioned the child, turns out it went something like this. Henry gave the note to the teacher, and teacher asked him: "Are you feeling that you are not supposed to be here today?" "No I'm not feeling well." So the teacher had another parent take him to the office and send him home. Oh well, cancel the interviews, it's nice to spend extra time with the boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just realized your the 2nd person I know who calls her son "The Boy." Nothing wrong with it-- just an observation :)