Monday, July 20, 2009

Field Trip on the Santa Cruz Coast

Couple of weeks ago my friend Sarah, who home schools her two children, generously took me on one of her field trips. We went down to Santa Cruz then up Highway 1 along the coast. I'd never been to that part of the coast, and now wonder what made me wait so long. First we went hiking in Butano State Park. It was a very steep trail from the valley up to a peak. The view is incredible. We visited the creek at the end of the hike, and found this little newt. Also found a handicapped crayfish (missing a leg), but I wasn't able to get a good picture. Sarah knows all these cool farm places. This road side farm stand sells organic dried beans. I never thought beans could be so pretty! They are very tasty too.
A nearby goat farm offers kids (baby goats) for petting. They are lively little kids. This black one successfully untied my shoe.
This one just wanted a mouthful of cashmere.

1 comment:

YawnOver said...

Great pictures of the baby goats. That was a smart one that untied your shoe :) I am definitely a sucker for a cute baby goat...

The beans do look yummy.