Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Village Harvest

Before this valley was lined with silicon, there were many orchards -- apricots, plums, apples, citrus fruits. Today most orchards have become business parks and housing developments. Some old trees survived on the few orchards left, still producing abundance of fruits. There are also fruit trees in backyards that owners could not digest the excess fruits. Village Harvest is a volunteer ran organization that collect these fruits and donate them to food banks. Volunteers get to take home the culls -- bruised, damaged, over-ripen fruits.

This is what came home with me yesterday. I shall commit my life to tree-ripened apricots.



Last week I took home a box of white plums. I pureed the plums, mixed with yogurt and made about 40 popsicles. Perfect treat for the post-basketball-game sweaty child.

No comments: